Into the Grey

Sometimes I take a moment to think about the things I've really been wearing - just because (and usually on a Sunday).
So here I am, staring into my closet, having a think. Aside from the inevitable 'should I, shouldn't I's' and making sure all my hangers are facing the same direction (inwards - in case you're curious), I'm noticing an expanding collection of grey things. Was this intentional, and if so what happened to my bright(er) clothes? Even now as I write this I'm wearing my favorite (and only) zip-up hoodie - which is g-r-e-y (how's that for a subliminal message?). 

I suppose it's pretty normal really. I mean we are, if anything, creatures of habit. So why grey? What is the attraction? For starters it's sculptural and therefore inherently timeless. It's also the mother of 'greige' - a colour so perfect it has been mastered by Hermès and countless interior designers. So actually grey is where you want to be. It's a happy place, a soothing place. It's my place. 

- Alexander Atkins, photographed by Catia Macedo in Los Angeles, wearing Vince and Acne. This post is part of Mr Porter's Global Style Campaign.