Dayne Arron Watai: The Vintage Tee

Let's be honest: a ripped-tee-and-Prada-shades weekend look is worth talking about. Really, what else are you doing?
So ok, you're probably going, "I'm beyond annoyed you're even suggesting ANYTHING weekend-related on a Tuesday". I get it (I do, really). It's like those people that open emails with 'Happy Monday'. (Seriously you guys, stop. 'Hi' is absolutely fine and Monday's are rarely 'happy'.) But despite all that (or in spite of it, your choice), there's no time like the present to be inspired. Besides, over here it's always about carpe-ing that diem. 

By now I'd like to think I've made my feelings known regarding Ziggy and Pink Hair. If not, well hello. I'm Alexander and I'm drawn to the whole rocker thing (on some level at least - who isn't?). I definitely have an appreciation, even if I'm not scouring eBay for vintage tees on my lunch break. There's something über-fascinating about being with a 'devotee' (aka addict) when they finally discover that one super beat-up (read held together by numerous safety pins) long-lost tee in a store and subsequently have zero qualms about its $500.00 price tag.

But back to the real point, which is: I'm into documenting how other people dress. Their subtle stylistic nuances, how they choose and put pieces together - it's everything. So when Dayne visited and decided to rock a seriously ripped Joy Division tee I most definitely was game. I like the high-low element. It's grunge meet glamour. For starters the tee obviously reminds me of my all-time favorite Joy Division song. As for the Prada sunglasses, well they're just exceptional (what else do you expect?). Together the whole thing conveys serious ease, becoming the perfect get-up to rock-out in.

Dayne Arron Watai, wearing a vintage Joy Division tee, Prada Sunglasses, T by Alexander Wang leather pants, Classic Doc Martens and a Degs and Sel skull bracelet. Photographed by Alexander Atkins in San Francisco.





While we were shooting I chatted with Dayne about style rules and influences to live by. Here's what he's thinking:

1. On what to where, when"It's easy to decide what to wear here. The weather definitely plays a huge factor in my decisions. Then whatever color I feel like wearing."
2. On style influences"Hedi Slimane and Willy Cartier. I also love Diane Boulenger and definitely am inspired by Fabien Baron. And of-course Cara."
3. On San Francisco: "I love the city. The food, the neighborhoods and the diversity. The bars. I love the shops in Hayes and on Haight Street - oh and obviously the coffee."
4. On Music, right now: "I've gotten into Walk the Moon - but specifically the song 'Ana Sun'. Also there's this YouTube channel. It's called 'MajecticCasual' with a ton of awesome tracks."