The Essentials: Fall Layering

It's mid-September (I know, how did that happen?) which means layering has now become everything. And thank god.
Perhaps we'd all do well by embracing some solid layering choices in our lives? (And on that note I hope by now it's blatantly obvious I dig a good casual layer moment.) There's something to be said for interchangeable pieces you can just grab and throw on whenever, wherever - with ease (which is always the point, or my point anyway). So with all that in-mind what better place to grab-and-go than the beach?

With the California coastline as a backdrop, Ai-Li Chiong-Martinson chatted with me about what she wears and how layering plays a huge part in any and every choice she makes. And how can it not? In-fact it seems layering is rarely far from the Seattle native's mind (which I'm guessing has a lot to do with those unexpected Northern-Pacific gusts and showers, you know?). "I generally prefer to keep things pretty comfortable and muted, but that might mostly be an innate nod to the crispy Seattle weather rather than aesthetic preference. Layering is my go-to. I take any number of simple items and transform their texture and shape to suit my needs." 
When chatting designers and influences Ai-Li is partial to anything Japanese, partly owed to her heritage. "I might be biased, but I love anything Rae Kawakubo, Kenzo Takada, Yohji Yamamoto and Junya Watanabe." In terms of inspiration Ai-Li pinpoints a few key people. "My mother, Yayoi Kusama, Alexa Chung, Pierre Bonnard and of course Audrey Hepburn (trite as that might be)."

When talking Seattle, Chiong-Martinson has a running list of awesome recommendations. "If you're looking for the best one-stop shopping experience (realistically for those without a budget, but also for wishful thinkers like myself) then you MUST stop by Totokaelo on Capitol Hill. The variety of designers and clothing that you'll find here can at times verge on tortuous, but it's 100% worth it. Just next door to Totokaelo is Elliot Bay Book Company, which is arguably the best bookstore in town. Seattle also has a few awesome and reasonably priced vintage haunts. I would say that Cairo on Capitol Hill is one of my favorites, but ultimately nothing compares to Georgetown's weekend Vintage Trailer Park Mall."  

- Ai-Li Chiong-Martinson, wearing an Acne leather jacket, Ann Demeulemeester top and Cutler & Gross shades, photographed by Alexander Atkins in Half Moon Bay, California.