The Essentials: The Aran Knit

Yes, it's still hot. But because autumn is hopefully looming I thought I'd grin and bear it, and wear some serious knitwear.
As I've mentioned before, it's good to plan ahead. So now that fall fashion is being flung at us every-which-way we turn (TV, Instagram, those annoying pop-ups - you get the picture) I'd say the retail gods are sending a very clear message. Namely: get shopping. So Voilà! Here it is. The white knit sweater. A staple for the upcoming equinox courtesy of Mr. Neil Barrett, who, in case you are wondering, is consistently exceptional.

There's something so right about a solid white knit. Something so luxe and exceedingly debonair. Call it what you will (a chunky-knit, an aran-knit, a cable-knit, whichever), the point is it's a beacon of luxury and heritage. Ultimately the wearer exemplifies sharp yet easy dressing. It's so fresh. What's more the whole thing screams fun in an, 'I enjoy stone-skipping' and, 'why yes, scallops sound marvelous' kind-of way. (I'm painting a picture of the Kennedy's in Hyannis Port, for those of you who may be confused.) Also, the fact that I bought this knit a while ago during a visit to Barneys (an exceeding dangerous trip I might add) as an impulse and not as a pre-mediated thing only adds to the my final point. Which is this: a full-on white knit sweater should be a staple in any and every man's wardrobe. White suits literally everyone, as does looking and feeling a million bucks. It's that simple.

Alexander Atkins, wearing Neil Barrett knitwear, Acne jeans, Dior Homme Blacktie Sunglasses and carrying Louis Vuitton's Poche Documents, photographed by Camille Labat in San Francisco.




*Click the arrows above to browse and shop this story.